LaraCroftWeb.net Boards
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LaraCroftWeb.net Boards

Welcome to the LaraCroftWeb.net Boards! A place where fans of the Tomb Raider series can discuss the games, films, fan work, and Lady Lara Croft. Remember, seeing is believing...

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Choose the Fate of Their Lives - A Sociology Experiment

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Julian Sark
Forum Administrator
Julian Sark

Choose the Fate of Their Lives - A Sociology Experiment Empty
PostSubject: Choose the Fate of Their Lives - A Sociology Experiment   Choose the Fate of Their Lives - A Sociology Experiment Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Imagine that your country is under threat of an immediate nuclear attack. A person approaches you and asks you to make an independent decision concerning a nearby fallout shelter that can accommodate 6 people but has 12 people trying to get in. Based on the following information about the 12 people, which 6 would you choose to go in the shelter?

1. A 40-year-old male violinist who is a suspected narcotics pusher.
2. A 34-year-old male architect who is thought to be a homosexual.
3. A 26-year-old lawyer.
4. The lawyer's 24-year-old wife who has just gotten out of a mental institution. (They both want to go in together or stay out together.)
5. A 75-year-old priest.
6. A 34-year-old prostitute who was so successful that she's been living off her annuities for 5 years.
7. A 20-year-old African American who's participated in protests against a racist system.
8. A 23-year-old female graduate student who speaks publicly on the virtues of chastity (no sex by choice).
9. A 28-year-old male physicist who will only come into the shelter if he can bring his gun in with him.
10. A 30-year-old female MD who is openly prejudice against minorities.
11. A 12-year-old girl who has a low IQ.
12. A high school student.

*This is part of an experiment I participated in in my Sociology class today. I want to see your views. Please provide reasons as to why you chose the 6 people you did.

I would save the following 6 people...

2. A 34-year-old male architect who is thought to be a homosexual.
One of the more obvious choices, if you ask me. He can help rebuild the world.

7. A 20-year-old African American who's participated in protests against a racist system.
I don't know why, but he/she speaks out to me. We need people with strong opinions in the world.

8. A 23-year-old female graduate student who speaks publicly on the virtues of chastity (no sex by choice).
I'd assume she would get over her "no sex" policy given the situation. Having made that decision early on shows that she thinks about her decisions.

9. A 28-year-old male physicist who will only come into the shelter if he can bring his gun in with him.
He's a scientist and he's going to bring protection into the shelter. What more can you really ask for?

10. A 30-year-old female MD who is openly prejudice against minorities.
By far, the most obvious decision. She's a doctor. Hopefully, the African American protester can straighten out the prejudice parts.

12. A high school student.
I guess it's just because I could identify with this person easier. Plus, I don't care for the other options.

I would NOT save the following 6 people...

1. A 40-year-old male violinist who is a suspected narcotics pusher.
He would bring nothing to the group other than music and a good time. Nothing useful to help them survive.

3. A 26-year-old lawyer.
Lawyers come off as bossy, in my opinion. It seems to me like he would just bring chaos to the group.

4. The lawyer's 24-year-old wife who has just gotten out of a mental institution. (They both want to go in together or stay out together.)
The last thing the group needs is some potential crazy women messing things up.

5. A 75-year-old priest.
He's old. He'll probably die soon anyway. Plus, I don't see his religious talk as going down well with some of the other people.

6. A 34-year-old prostitute who was so successful that she's been living off her annuities for 5 years.
Once again, all this person is is a good time. Nothing more. The money I don't even take into account. It's worthless in the world now.

11. A 12-year-old girl who has a low IQ.
I don't foresee her having any use. She's 12 and she's not the brightest crayon in the box. She would just get in the way.
Back to top Go down
https://laracroftweb.forumotion.com

Choose the Fate of Their Lives - A Sociology Experiment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LaraCroftWeb.net Boards :: Community/Miscellaneous Forums :: General Discussion-
Jump to: